[aida] Creating a new site and WebStyle's

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 02:51:01 CET 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 11:51 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

Smalltalk is definitively a choice for a changing world and I like to
> mention that the longer living Aida web app has just 10 years (Gas
> Billing System for our national Gas company) and this one went through
> fundamental business changes: tax reform, energy market deregulation,
> Euro. Such a system is the best proof IMHO for Smalltalk and its
> strengths coping with changes through the time.

Thanks...this is some of the best information I have received about why
Smalltalk is a good choice for what we are trying to do!

> Nice to hear that and my goal developing Aida from the start is
> simplicity and Smalltalk only programming, with as few HTML or CSS
> knowledge as possible.

So far it seems to be something I can figure out without too much
difficulty, although common examples would always be welcome.  Maybe that is
something I can contribute as I figure things out...

Sublcass WebStyle with your own, then AIDASite named: 'mysite')
> styleClass: 'MyStyle'.
>
> Override existing CSS methods with your own or just make only one
> #cssAll and put everything there. Then "neutralize" other css methods
> with empty ones (see JommlaStyle css-screen no).

I will definitely try this out once I manage to create a new site (see
below)!

For design approach look at http://www.csszengarden.com to see, what can
> be done with clear separation of content from design.

So...between Smalltalk and CSS you have a very interesting
"Model-Content-Design" triad going on...

Better simply start a new site:

>        SwazooAida startOn: 8889
>
> This will create a new site 'aidaOn8889'. Now stop it and change name
> and even host:ip:port to your needs.

This still gives me the same error message in AIDA 5.6 : "Site with such
host:ip:port combination not allowed!"

I think I am not understanding something very basic, but I will keep trying!

Thanks,

Rob