[aida] [Scribo] Backup feature

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Sat Jan 19 11:48:37 CET 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:14:19 +0100
Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:

> Also, I'm introducing an XML import/export of Documents. Idea is to have
> all content on a filesystem, with XML "manifest" and content with
> attachments in separate files, in a separate directory for each document.

Like OpenOffice does, good idea. Take it one step further and export
locally generated content as OpenOffice-document? That makes no sense
if the content is just a reference to a Word-document, but for
wiki-pages etc. it would sure be nice. Especially if you then go the
other way round and import oowriter or oocalc files into web-editable
scribo data :-)

Still, I'm not quite clear on how you propose to perform the backup.

If "everything" including current metadata is already in the filesystem,
I can suspend Scribo, run archiver, resume Scribo. I'd guess the
suspend/resume becomes necessary to avoid backing up inconsistent data.

If Scribo needs to export data from image-based "short-term" storage to
the filesystem, the fastest way would be suspend, export, archive,
resume.

Still the archiving is done completely outside of the web serving
application. Split responsibilities.

How about the following approach:
  wget http://scribo-host/prepare-for-backup
    returns when the filesystem data is ready for backup
  tar ...
  wget http://scribo-host/resume-after-backup

This requires no knowledge about calling OS-specific processes.
On Windows, you could use some VBScript or even resort to simple
batch-files if you don't bother closing two IE windows in the morning.

s.