[aida] International Urls (was URL resolution patch)

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Mon Jan 14 13:55:22 CET 2008

Janko Mivšek (2008-01-14 13:38):

> It is interesting for me that Urls with non-ASCII letters just work,
> without any special treatment. Isn't there some special standard for
> that, IDNA?
>
> 	Here it is: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3490
> 	and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name
>

> It seems that IDNA is for domain names only, while Urls are free to be
> encoded UTF8? Masashi, if you have time, would you look at this question
> a bit further?

According to http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html:

For worldwide interoperability, URIs have to be encoded uniformly. To
map the wide range of characters used worldwide into the 60 or so
allowed characters in a URI, a two-step process is used:

    * Convert the character string into a sequence of bytes using the
      UTF-8 encoding
    * Convert each byte that is not an ASCII letter or digit to %HH,
      where HH is the hexadecimal value of the byte

HTH
s.