[aida] Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jan 9 22:36:02 CET 2008

Nicolas Petton wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
>>> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
>>> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
>>> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>
> How did you manage to make VNC work?
> It works fine on Squeak3.6, but on squeak3.9, vncviewer says the VNC
> server closed connection.

Yes, because there was some change in Smalltalk (SytemDictionary)
methods. There is no Smalltalk isBigEndian there, for instance.

What I did: I enabled debugging in RFB so that every error raised an
exception and then simply provided some fixed answer to those missing
methods: false instead of Smalltalk isBigEndian for instance.

But Nicolas if you have a time you could provide a patch for RFB to work
on 3.9 as it should. This will be a very welcome contribution, I'm sure!

Janko