[aida] Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Tue Jan 8 18:37:47 CET 2008

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Salut François,
>
> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>
> AidaBrowser is running now headless, with VNC viewer open and I'll see
> if it will survive the night. So far it crashed every night!

Hello Janko,

The Seaside people do not keep RFB running all the time. They only start
it up as necessary. They have a web interface to start it up. At least
that is my understanding.

I have had the opportunity to start into AIDA/Web yet. I am currently
reading the docs. But maybe something similar can be added to whatever
web based configuration interface is available.

Below is the text of an email conversation I had on the Seaside mailing
list. Message and thread available at:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-October/014722.html

Hope this helps.

Jimmie

++++++++++++++++++++++

On 10/11/07, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us> wrote:

> X11 is not required?

Correct.

> Is the port configurable?

Yes.  The standard range starts at 5900.

> I presume one can write a method which can be called via a web browser
> to start or stop service from the RFBServer.

Yes, some versions of Seaside include WAVNCController which does
precisely that.

> Have the RFBServer running but no client connected.
> Such would hopefully have little resource usage. Just a guess?
> Then if you encounter a debug situation, you can possibly have a client
> connect, debug, disconnect. ?

We have it not running, and in fact suspend the UI process, until
there's a problem.  WAVNCController lets us start up the VNC server
and resume the UI process so we can go in and take a look, and then
shut these off after we're done.

Suspending the UI process does help to conserve server resources.

Avi