[aida] Aidaweb on Pharo 3

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 01:19:47 CEST 2014

Hi!

This is an interesting question Andy, I'm also working with Meteor (being
myself a long time Smalltalker) because as a freelance, lot of times I need
to use the tools that the customers wants. And in the last times I saw an
increasing demand of this sort of tools (Some JS framework - NodeJS -
MongoDO (or other noSql)).

Of course, I miss a lot the Smalltalk style of work, but, also I must point
some strengths in this client based style of development.

As a friend said, seems that the times of server centric applications is
gone... (?)

Thanks for make this question, I also want to know the opinions of the
other smalltalkers here.

> <<
> Hi Andy,
>
> I don't see much interest on Aida on Pharo, but anyway, I'll release a
> v6.7 Aida before ESUG conf and if there will be a time, a Pharo version
> too.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

> Hi Janko,
>
> I see your point. I hadn't realised that Aida was less popular on Pharo.
>  My interest in a Pharo 3 version was just because I like the way their
> toolset is developing. And, I particularly like the look of the Moose
> browsers.
>
> As an alternative, I could try developing on Gemstone. Does Aidaweb offer
> the realtime support on Gemstone too?
>
> Also, the reason I am asking these questions is that I want to develop a -
> relatively simple - web app which will allow groups of people to create,
> and manage, virtual post-it notes in realtime.  I am torn between
> technologies. On the one hand, systems such as Meteor seem to offer a good
> stack, but the tools are weak, and you have to write in Javascript. On the
> other hand Aidaweb seems to let me write everything in smalltalk, but I am
> not sure whether I can get the same level of client side interactivity, as
> easily, if I write everything server side.
>
> What are your thoughts on the different approaches?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino