[aida] Aidaweb on Pharo 3

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Thu Jun 12 23:05:41 CEST 2014

<<
Hi Andy,

I don't see much interest on Aida on Pharo, but anyway, I'll release a
v6.7 Aida before ESUG conf and if there will be a time, a Pharo version too.

Hi Janko,

I see your point. I hadn't realised that Aida was less popular on Pharo.
 My interest in a Pharo 3 version was just because I like the way their
toolset is developing. And, I particularly like the look of the Moose
browsers.

As an alternative, I could try developing on Gemstone. Does Aidaweb offer
the realtime support on Gemstone too?

Also, the reason I am asking these questions is that I want to develop a -
relatively simple - web app which will allow groups of people to create,
and manage, virtual post-it notes in realtime.  I am torn between
technologies. On the one hand, systems such as Meteor seem to offer a good
stack, but the tools are weak, and you have to write in Javascript. On the
other hand Aidaweb seems to let me write everything in smalltalk, but I am
not sure whether I can get the same level of client side interactivity, as
easily, if I write everything server side.

What are your thoughts on the different approaches?

Cheers
Andy
ᐧ