[aida] Charting/graphing/data visualization

Geert Claes geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 11:56:57 CEST 2012

Janko Mivšek wrote
> I recently found this nice data visualization libraries overview:
> http://selection.datavisualization.ch
>
> Besides Raphael and HighCharts, the D3.js http://d3js.org/ impressed me
> most. This is lower level visualization library with many addons for many
> different usages. It seems it could be useful to make a Smalltalk
> interface to it as well.

This is a good resource as well:
http://www.fromdev.com/2012/05/15-awesome-open-source-javascript.html

>From my  understanding
<http://highslide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20017>  , D3.js and
HighCharts are similar solutions.  The D3 library does seem very impressive
... BUT ... it does seem a lot harder to find examples and documenation as
apposed to HighCharts.  From my experience, its not that hard to get
something to look nice using HighCharts and it looks like D3 is more
powerfull but also more complicated.  I like how HighCharts uses  jsFiddle
<http://jsfiddle.net/highcharts/jaRhY/>   to show how to get certain graph
types to work.

Maybe the solution is having them as add-ins?  Let people choose to load
HichCharts or D3js or ... and Bootstrap or Foundations or ...?