[aida] [Pharo-project] A trend and an unfair comparison about js everywhere

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Oct 17 09:57:48 CEST 2012

Dne 16. 10. 2012 20:43, piše Igor Stasenko:

> IMO, the fundamental difference between personal computer apps, that
> they rely on capabilities of your personal computer. While web-apps,
> obviously not.
> Web-apps mainly relocating the computation onto another computer,
> effectively making your personal one to serve as a remote (even if
> media-rich) terminal, connected to mainframe.
>
> Perhaps web was the catalyst for emergence of cloud-computing. But
> conceptually, cloud computing is completely orthogonal to 'web', it is
> just turning computing power into easily accessible commodity.
> Web, of course, can enjoy exploiting this new approach, as well as any
> others too.

Nowadays web apps are more and more autonomous and client-centric,
connecting not just to one server but *many* different services and
resources somewhere from the cloud *at once*. Such app is therefore not
server-centric anymore but client-centric, as this article explains nicely:

  Why The Future Of Software And Apps Is Serverless

http://www.readwriteweb.com/cloud/2012/10/why-the-future-of-software-and-apps-is-serverless.php

Where Smalltalk can find its place in such future?

 1. Providing services from the cloud (that's why all cloud related
    Smalltalk initiatives needs to be supported)
 2. Client-centric web apps (that's why Amber and related initiatives
    are so important)

Note also that classic Smalltalk environments like Pharo are still
useful and needed in both cases, because we can *develop* both cloud
services and client web apps on classic environments with their superior
tools, but *deploy* them both in cloud (headless) and on the client
(like by Amber generating/emitting JS code to the client).

Aida/Web