[aida] JS lib for autocomplete and in-place editing fields?

Robert Calco bobcalco at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 13:11:31 CEST 2012

Hi Janko,

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:36 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> It is time to find a replacement for current Prototype/Scriptaculous
> based autocomplete and in-place editing support.
>
> Does someone know a good JS library for that?
>
> Probably independent of jQuery, so that we won't end up in the same
> position as we are currently with Prototype. Also if it would be
> compatible with Twitter Bootstrap CSS framework, even better. This CSS
> framework is namely something we should incorporate in Aida too.

I think a better design goal is to let users decide on jQuery vs. whatever.
It seems important to include jQuery as a key alternative, but these things
are always left up to either individual fancy or groupthink. These change
over time.

I think it would add more value to incorporate something like KnockoutJS,
which provides a clean MVVM pattern with declarative data-binding
capability that is for me way more compelling than this or that way to
query or manipulate the DOM per se. I have been using Knockout recently on
a project with KineticJS (for canvas manipulation) and it is very, very
good -- it allows your UI code to be clean and declarative and separate
from your javascript model and view model.

This is where I wish Amber was more back-end agnostic and worked more like
coffeescript.

AFAIK, KnockoutJS is not dependent on jQuery. You have to add your own
binding handlers for jQuery if you wish to get jQuery UI stuff to work with
Knockout.

- Bob

> Best regards
> Janko