[aida] hosting

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Jun 28 11:02:08 CEST 2011

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the list!

Currently we don't have such hosting providers on a PaaS level, but
there are few initiatives in Smalltalk community and we will join them:

  1. Cloud Foundry as open initiative by VMware : as Gemstone is now a
VMware company, they are already working to put Gemstone database on
that Foundry. Which also means that Smalltalk will be there. And later
probably Pharo etc. too. Then having the Aida as PaaS in cloud is close.

  2. Thre is some initiative to make a hosting support but I can't found
a pointer right now. It is supposed to be for any Smalltalk web
framework. By some student group? ESUG sponsored?

In any case, the first thing is to host a Smalltalk image and have
remote access to it, then you can host Aida on top easily.

Also, because you can serve more than one Aida website from one image,
it is very easy to make a SaaS level of hosting. That's how I host
around 70 websites right now. I have a dedicated server (but it can be
virtual too) with X-windows installed and using VNC for remote access.
There is that image connected to version control system. I publish
changes om my development machine, then in the middle of running load
them to that image. Doing that for 7 years already :)

I hope you get some hints for your needs...

S, Gary Peterson piše:

> Does anyone know of a list of providers who include Aida hosting?

Aida/Web