[aida] Aida comprehensive documentation: a newbie experience

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Jul 24 21:31:00 CEST 2011

Hi Offray,

Welcome to the list and thanks a lot for your thoughts, that's what we
need and this is what give us encouragement to be better and better!

About documentation: yes, that is major Aida weakness and I don't know
exactly how to solve it. I'm simply better in thinking and coding, not
in writing, so any help here is really appreciated. We will soon have a
ToDo example, which shows all that bleeding edge Aida features for
building so called Single page (SP) applications, as an addition to
traditional web apps shown in current tutorial.

Support for a combination of traditional and SP apps will put Aida on
the web frontiers, just that without documentation no-one will know
that. Yes, you are very right, lack of docs is also a reason for a lack
of visibility of what all Aida is capable.

About Smalltalk knowledge for newbie: is Seaside HPI tutorial good even
for a complete non-Smalltalker? How they achieved that, AFAIK they don't
learn Smalltalk basics in this tutorial?

About our web frameworks to form a strong front and compete with others,
yes, this is a very stated goal and specially with Jtalk work by Nicolas
Petton for client-side web apps we can actually "penetrate" to outside
word more deeper. JavaScript is a king on client-side but it was not
designed for programming at large, while Smalltalk is. We have therefore
a chance here and both Aida and Iliad have plans/working intensively on
that area.

About persistence: you probably already noticed that Smalltalkers tend
to avoid RDBses as much as possible. One reason is that image itself is
kind of a database and image based pesistence works surprisingly well
for small to middle sized projects. And for larger we have a Gemstone
with which we can scale up to the sky :) It is true that it is not open
source, but this actually don't count much in otherwise small Smalltalk
community. And free GS version is more than enough for a quite large
systems.

So, ok, let me finish too for now and rather publish a ToDo example
ASAP, so that we will have a foundation for some more docs .. :)

Thanks again and keep posting more!

Janko

Aida/Web