[aida] Documentation, how to improve it?

Geert Claes geert.wl.claes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 08:42:21 CET 2011

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> OK - I just tried to create a Youtube account: 'AidaWeb' - but that is not
> available - if anyone has registered that and could let us know that would
> be helpful.
>
> In the mean time I have created an account: 'AidaWebSmalltalk'. That can
> be changed if another name is thought to be more appropriate.

Not that I do not want to make this about which is the best video hosting
site, but I would go for a Vimeo Channel.  I find for example James's Vimeo
channel much better than the Youtube one, better quality, nicer UI ... or
just do both?

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> My first thoughts are that we will think of different videos for different
> audiences. For instance an introductory video could provide an overview
> and present Aida's great strengths, such as integrated ajax and the power
> of Smalltalk.
>
> I was also thinking of a video for beginners which simply installed a
> Smalltalk image and got the example web site running. That opens the way
> for subsequent videos which begin to customise the web site and gradually
> introduce more sophisticated topics - such as using ajax and modifying
> javascript methods. That way new ideas are introduced with a context and a
> purpose.

Just a thought, AIDA runs on multiple Smalltalk implementations but for the
screencasts I would pick one (e.g. PharoAIDA one-click, and publish this
exact image for download on the AIDA website) and stick with it throughout
the screencasts so people can follow the steps in the tutorials.

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> In practise, I expect that different people would be thinking about/
> developing different aspects of Aida/Web - distributed intelligence (!).
> :-))
>
> Time permitting I am happy to talk - especially after the kind comments
> from Janko! I have not made a tutorial video before, so there will be a
> small learning curve - but then it should be fun.
>
> Maybe this should go into a new thread?

Janko is probably in the best position here to give some advice here on
subject for the screencast but starting with where to download and install
is a good idea, followed by simple walking through the IDE and showing where
the AIDA packages are before showing the sample apps etc

This is good stuff!  Let us know here which video channel you guys have
settled on so I can add it to the world.st videos.