[aida] 6.2 news: Image based persistency

Friedrich Dominicus frido at q-software-solutions.de
Tue Feb 22 18:41:10 CET 2011

Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> writes:

> Magma is simple and fast enough that, if I ever had any qualms about
> any of the above issues, then I would just start with that in the
> first place, and be comforted in knowing I'm prepared for growth and
> cannot lose data.  No object-persistence mechanism for Squeak or Pharo
> comes close to Magma in terms of the _safety_ of the domain model.
This may all be, but you still have to get your classes into the RDB and
this is quite a challenge. I don't know of any ORM which is
unproblematic. The more objects and the  more oo-ish you work the worse.

Yes there are times where data corruption could not be tolerated, but
then there is Gemstone which is a kind of persistent storage and I do
not remember having read that Gemstone stuff was corrupted  beyond any
repair. I think for most of Aida uses, the image as storage is "more
than enough"

Regards
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus