[aida] 6.2 news: Image based persistency

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Feb 22 11:55:59 CET 2011

Dear Aiders,

In newest 6.2 one very important feature is enabled by default and it is
important to understand the consequences of that: Image based persistency.

Image based persistency basically means a periodic snapshoot of the
image to the disk. This is the simplest but very effective persistency
solution which I'm successfully using on my production servers for
years. It is suitable for low to medium sized projects, in my experience
near 99% of all. And you have a Gemstone as a solution to "escape" for
really big projects.

Aida 6.2 has a hourly snapshot enabled by default and active immediately
after the installation. It is active on OneClick image as well.

Snapshot is implemented in method:

	AIDASite class>>imageSnapshot.

Snapshot is periodically scheduled in Aida's scheduler, see:

	AIDASite default scheduler

Another feature enabled by default is a nightly cleanup, which removes
all nonactive guest sessions and release application state on all
session. This feautre is also scheduled in above mentioned scheduler.

Aida/Web