[aida] Migration 6.1 to 6.2 (was [ANN] 6.2beta2...)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Feb 8 18:43:38 CET 2011

On 08. 02. 2011 18:22, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

>> Gofer new
>>     squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>     package: 'ConfigurationOfAida';
>>     load.
>>
>>   ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfAida) project version: '6.2') load

> Sorry that does not work without problems in Pharo 1.1. I had to
> download the  SwazooServer independently and install it. After that I
> got it running (in principle)

Yes, because you updated existing Aida. Upgrade procedure is needed in
this case, as shown below.

>> Note that to update an existing Aida you need to manually do some
>> migrations. Anyone need that?

> I did that and I think there must be painless upgrade pathes for longer
> lasting applications. You can not just "start" a new every time. So you
> need at least some way to dump stuff and reload it. If one will use
> Gemstone, then this probably will be "even" more important. Because the
> users are "used" to some migration pathes...

Those upgrade scripts already exist, because I need them to continuously
upgrade my production servers.

In short, to upgrade from Aida 6.1 to 6.2, you need:

  1. SwazooServer stop.
  2. AIDASite allInstances do: [:each | each releaseApplicationState]
  3. in WebSession manually remove instvars #language and #country and
     add instvar #queue after #appForObjects
  4. load newest Aida
  5. AIDASite allInstances do: [:each | each initScheduledTasks]
  6. AIDASite allInstances do: [:site |
       site router addSessionManagerRoute]
  7. SwazooServer start