[aida] AIDAWeb

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Aug 19 00:05:48 CEST 2011

Hi Brad,

S, Brad Selfridge piše:

> Just started checking out AIDAWeb. Love it. Fantastic job.

Thanks for your kind words and welcome to the mailing list.

> However, I'm
> an old VASmalltalk developer in that I have been programming in
> VASmalltalk exclusively for over 10 years. It's taking me a little time
> to come up to speed on Pharo and I want to learn VisualWorks also.
> Enough chatter.
>
> My question is, have you considered porting AIDAWeb to VASmalltalk?  If
> no, do you have a rough idea as to how much effort it might take to port
> it.

As Bruno said one of the harder part can be the "climbing on the stack",
but this is implemented in all Smalltalks to support a debugger, so
problem lies only in different ways how to do that. No continuations
needed, just a thisContext or similar.

But you need to port first a Sport portability library for portable
sockets, times and files. Which is already partly ported, as I remember,
please ask John O'Keefe from Instantiations if he knows more.

After Sport is done, a Swazoo web server is next, but it has very good
tests so porting is quite simple. After Sport and Swazoo, Aida will be
easy as Bruno already said.

I'm interested on VA port and will help, but under one condition: to
have a permanent maintainer of the port, as Bruno is for Dolphin. Are
you wiling to volunteer for that job?

Aida/Web