[aida] TreeView Control

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Aug 8 23:24:31 CEST 2010

Hi Rob,

RR> Knowing absolutely nothing about even where to begin, I was wondering if
RR> anyone could help coach me through the process of trying to integrate a
RR> treeview control into Aida--something like the live example here:

sorry I'm dreadfully pressed for time but:

I see a similarity between AidaCharts and this tree view.

If the the library is freely available, you have to load the js
library, replicate the few lines he does in his example feed it
the data and call the function in the onLoad (or what suits you) event.

Hopefully the data can be fed into the library as JSON, then it will
be easy to do.

RR> http://codeclimber.net.nz/archive/2007/06/28/ajax-treeview.aspx
don't have time to go through it so I maybe wrong with the following:

AidaCharts displays collections of Smalltalk points in an excel
diagram style. It uses a javascript library to do so and a few
Smalltalk classes to build the html which is mainly json sent to a
javascript function.

I think the problems are quite similar.

Load the AidaCharts package (search this list for a link).
look at WebStyle>>ensureJavascriptForProtoChartInHeader and
protoChartJs which embeds the actual js library as a Smalltalk method.
WebChartDemo and WebChartDemoApp use the library.

WebChartData creates the JSON from Smalltalk data, but there is a json
package. Make sure to read the recent discussion on squeak dev if you
want to use it.

What I have not yet implemented (and I only have paper notes on how I
planned to do it months ago) is how to get back data from the users
(in your example) selection from the tree.

Anyway if you see similarities between the problems, ask and I'll try
to help.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net