[aida] Aida-based single page web application

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun May 17 10:36:42 CEST 2009

Hi Jaroslav,

JH> It is a web client for the XML database, that introduces some
JH> interesting (I hope) things that can be done with Aida.

thank you very much for sharing this. I've read it from cover to cover
and will have to revisit it. I feel you have covered some very
important parts in making a web application (stress on application)
and clearly pointed out the weak points.

Aida's slogan "This is how the Web works" is nothing an application
user wants to hear if his application which happens to run in a
browser behaves unexpectedly. Your work is a good step towards
alleviating this.

Are you aware of the work being done by Alex Baran on the problem you
state in 3.3.3.1?

JH> - support for complete AJAX updating (callback links, automatic
JH> detection of updated elements, unlimited number of elements updated
JH> after single AJAX request)
JH> - integration of reallysimplehistory into Aida (back button support
JH> for AJAX applications)
JH> - form elements with custom conversion, validation and failure handling
JH> - AJAX form submitting
JH> - support for both modern and text browsers

These IMO are very valuable extensions for Aida! Maybe only from my
point of view who wants to create a web _application_ but I think the
concept, that the programmer does not need to care about which
elements to update is of general usefulness.

JH> Download page for document that describes the web client, the most
JH> important part is chapter 7 - Implementation:
JH> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/doc/graduate_theses/Jaroslav_Havlin/havlin_thesis.pdf
JH> (I'm sorry for my English)

In your initial chapters you give a good overview and some valuable
details on Aida, actually I think this is a part that is still missing
in Aida documentation. I was missing such a thing. Thank you!

JH> Source code:
JH> http://sites.google.com/site/jaroslavhavlin/cellstore,
JH> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/service_http/trunk

Is there a way to get the whole source instead of picking it from the
page in small pieces? BTW I just downloaded STX, it seems from there I
can directly get at your code.

JH> I will be glad if you let me know what you think.

Great! Though I haven't groked it fully it will have influence on my
own app.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net