[aida] German umlauts: symbols converted to Slovene?

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Fri May 8 18:36:06 CEST 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009 17:26:23 +0200
Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:

> Stefan,
>

> SS> the encoding should be the one your image is using internally
> SS> to store strings. so I'd expect it to be a "hidden" information
> SS> not easily discovered. Please prove me wrong :-)
>
> I'd be happy if I could as I would know much more about Squeak then.
>
> Anyway inspecting the methodDict of the class in both images, the "ä"
> is coded as Character value 228 in both images. As well in the message
> name (methodDict values..) as in the literals of the compiled view
> method. But then I don't know how much the tools try to help instead
> of presenting the raw data.
>
> I'll follow your other clues, the browser is Firefox 3.0.10 in both
> cases.

use a low-level tool to get a page from your app with a link
to your umlaut-view and inspect the file with some low-level
or encoding-aware editor.

If the umlaut-link is UTF-8 encoded, it's probably somewhere
in your squeak image. If not, then it has to be the browser
trying to be smart/standards compliant.

Firebug could also be helpful, but I'm a bit suspicious about its
helpful automatics when dealing with such issues.

s.