[aida] German umlauts: symbols converted to Slovene?

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Fri May 8 17:03:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009 16:36:29 +0200
Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:

> If I didn't get you wrong then I have to find out a compiledMethod's
> literals encoding and the encoding of that message name?

the encoding should be the one your image is using internally
to store strings. so I'd expect it to be a "hidden" information
not easily discovered. Please prove me wrong :-)

> Copying the message contents to a name without umlaut and changing the
> symbol in the view method makes it work. Then taking a new name with a
> different umlaut ...gewühlt :-) and changing the symbol to that new
> name reproduces the problem.

at least it's a problem that most probably does not originate with
any environmental dependencies like the one I guessed.

> Do you think this rules out the in image coding of strings?

I've been out of touch with AIDA long enough to not know what
I'm talking about, but *assuming* that the view name appears
somewhere, e.g. in the URL, it would be a sensible precaution
to convert the string to something that is usable in URLs.
UTF-8 is a candidate here.

I guess that somewhere within AIDA a method converting a string
to UTF-8 is applied before emitting a string and it is missing
its counterpart conversion when AIDA is digesting the external
input.

If the view name actually becomes part of the URL, the conversion
from ISO to UTF-8 might also happen in the browser. I remember
such a thing happening with IE6 a while back. As I recall it,
IE6 accepted an ISO-8859-1 encoded URL but sent the request
to the server using UTF-8 encoding.

So if AIDA (or Swazoo?) has changed in the way that incoming requests
are parsed, it might be a starting point for investigating further.

s.