[aida] German umlauts: symbols converted to Slovene?

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Fri May 8 08:43:31 CEST 2009

On Fri, 8 May 2009 08:34:42 +0200
Herbert König <herbertkoenig at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in 5.6 i could do:
>
> self observee hasPositionSelected
>      ifFalse:
>              [self redirectToView: #profilePositionNichtGewählt.
>              ^self].
>
> In case your mailer doesn't display correctly, the last word of the
> symbol has a German "a" umlaut.
>
> While I tend to avoid German umlauts in message names this one slipped
> through and in 6.9beta2 results in:
>
> ERROR: view named #'profilePositionNichtGewÀhlt' does not exist
>
> in the browser.

From where through what to where did you move your code
from 5.6 to the new beta?

I'd wager you were using an image using ISO-8859-1 encoding
for internal string storage, and then somehow managed to save
the file using UTF-8 outside the image. The new image would
also be using ISO-8859-1 and interpret the bytes as shown.

tilde-A is usually a dead giveaway for this kind of problem,
as it's the ISO-8859-1 representation of the UTF-8 prefix byte
used for the relevant character range.

s.