[aida] Iliad, a new lightweight web framework

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Jun 25 00:24:28 CEST 2009

Dear all,

You probably already heard what was the Nico's secret project (well,
part of :) last few months:
-----
Iliad, a new lightweight web framework for GNU Smalltalk
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/blog/nico/iliad-new-lightweight-web-framework-gnu-smalltalk

For our personal needs, we wanted to have the following features in the
framework:

    * standalone stateful widgets
    * REST-like applications
    * simple API
    * easy to setup and deploy (no complicated configuration step)

In order to avoid to reinvent the wheel, we started it by reusing pieces
of code from other libraries. In particular, we adapted the dispatch
pattern from HttpView2, the composite element hierarachy for building
HTML from Aida/Web, and the stateful Widgets from Seaside, however
without using continuations. A bit of glue code was needed to make this
work together, but we quickly ended up with something that actually worked.
------
I spend some time looking at Iliad code and I can say there are quite
some new fresh ideas worth to look at for us too, so I invite all to
look at Iliad and let we then discuss how can Aida adopt some of Nico's
ideas as well.