[aida] STX troubles

Jan Vrany vranyj1 at fel.cvut.cz
Sun Jun 21 21:31:57 CEST 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:03 +0200, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Thanks for such fast answer! I tried also your branch but unfortunately
> with the same result. BTW you branch is really nicely done, much cleaner
> than official one.

Thanks. My branch is heavily modified version of eXept one with lot of
patches. I hope we will merge soon (once I finish S/X.VN integration :-)

However, I've no idea what's wrong - maybe something is wrong with
startup sequence (but this is strange, because my branch contains a
modified startup sequence). Or - more likely - some kind of interference
between ST/X VM, linux kernel, glibc and X.org.

Well, I'll install a opensuse 11.1 a look at it. Is your system
a clean opensuse 11.1? KDE or GNOME or other WM? (believe or not -
recently we fixed bug causing 100% CPU usage that was caused by
the window manager).
We only run St/X on Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo boxes :-(

> Ok, let me not wast any more your and my time. I'll start working with
> STX on Win for a while. So, how to load Swazoo and Aida on STX?
>
> Here is the page with a Swazoo goodie:
> http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/StxGoodiesSwazoo
>
> There is also the code to load it:
>
> 	Smalltalk loadPackage: 'stx:goodies/swazoo'
>
> But it seems that this loads only the package which is on local file
> system, not remote. So how to load such package remotely?

That's not so easy - we keep our code in SVN repositories and
SVN support is not yet integrated to the eXept mainline.

You may patch original eXept St/X and install SVN support
using steps described here:
http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/projects/stx-goodies/wiki/PatchingExeptDistribution

Or better, use my branch, which has all those tools already integrated.
I'll try to build my branch for windows during this week.

> I tried to copy it locally and run above code, but ended with some
> strange error.

Which one? :-)

Cheers, Jan

P.S.: At least, we can do some hacking on ESUG. I'll show you how
      to use St/X :-)