[aida] Re usable Components in Seaside & Aida

Frank Young franklin1 at runbox.com
Sat Jan 31 04:09:59 CET 2009

Eli Green-2 wrote:

> On Friday, January 30, 2009, at 09:42AM, "Frank Young"
> <franklin1 at runbox.com> wrote:
>>
>>From what I have seen of Aida, it uses a state machine-like process to
>>transition and navigate among different web pages rather than Seaside's
>>subroutine-like flow control.  I wonder, though, how Aida supports
reusable
>>components given this distinction.
>>

> Avi Bryant, the original creator of Seaside, has actually been
> discouraging the use of this type of control flow. In the days of HTML 4
> and Java applets and lousy javascript support and nested tables, this was
> a very clever way of permitting a developer to turn a document retrieval
> system (HTTP) into something resembling a dynamic application. Every
> modern browser (even including IE7) has good enough support for javascript
> now that he recommends using Seaside's support for Ajax to implement
> dynamic behaviour.
>
> Sorry that this does not answer your question. Just wanted to comment on
> this.
>
> (AIDA has authentication built directly into it, so this may not be the
> best example).

Thanks for your reply.  But did Avi Bryant really discourage the use of
Seaside's call/answer control flow?  I think he mentioned that he stopped
using continuations in Dabble, as they were resource-hungry and Ajax
provided similar functionality without the cost.  However, I think one can
call/answer WAComponents without maintaining continuations for them.  As far
as I know, he still touts this style of control flow programming.

Frank