[aida] AJAX periodical updater

Facundo Ciccioli facundofc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:58:34 CET 2009


Hi. I just wanted to let you know that I solved the problem by
changing the script that the message #updateEverySeconds:with: puts to
the WebElement.

I replaced the old script with:

	self scriptAfter: '
		function createRequest() {
			new Ajax.Request(''', url, ''', { method: ''post'', postBody: ''',
parms, ''',
				onSuccess: function(transport) {
					document.getElementById(''', self id, ''').innerHTML=
transport.responseText;
				}
			});
		}
		var intervalID= window.setInterval(createRequest, ', (aNumber*1000)
printString, ');
	'.

Aparently the problem is in Prototype, more specifically in its
PeriodicalUpdater or in Updater classes. I insist in that I don't know
Javascript, and to do this I just skimmed some info about it, so
anyone should probably see if this is a good solution.

FaQ

2009/1/15 Rob Rothwell <r.j.rothwell at gmail.com>:
> Hmm...long ago when I was asking you how to Comet (and never was successful
> in Squeak!), I "noticed" the same thing but never investigated it enough.
>
> Anyway, that was on Window XP as well...
>
> Rob
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Facundo,
>>
>> Facundo Ciccioli wrote:
>>
>> > I'm using #updateEverySeconds: on a WebElement and I found a problem.
>> > I update every 3 seconds, and noticed than, after my page being opened
>> > for a while, the browser started to suffer a serious slow down
>> > (Firefox in this case). If I open the task manager (I'm running
>> > Windows XP), I can see that the firefox.exe process is eating up 99
>> > percent of the CPU. So I close the tab with my page, and everything's
>> > back to normal. Also, if I get stubborn and leave my page open even
>> > after everything slows down, eventually it stops updating...
>> >
>> > So I said: maybe I'm doing everything wrong (which is *very* possible
>> > since I'm not an AJAX nor web expert). So I went to the AIDA demo
>> > site, and to the Ajax examples, where there is a clock that uses
>> > #updateEverySeconds: 1. To my surprise, the same thing happened: after
>> > a while everything slowed down. Baffled, the following thing I did was
>> > to try the demo in Internet Explorer, to see if it was a browser
>> > issue. Same thing happened.
>> >
>> > I tried googleing the problem and found nothing, also tried looking in
>> > this mail list's archives with the same luck. Does someone knows what
>> > could be happening?
>>
>> I also get the same slowdown on the
>> http://demo.aidaweb.si/demos.html?view=ajax after few minutes in FF on
>> Linux. Funny that noone noticed that before! It is also true that I
>> didn't use periodic updater so far, but I rather use Comet technique
>> (delayed response to Ajax update) instead.
>>
>> I would say that problem can be in Prototype's PeriodicUpdater, beccasue
>>  we just simply use that one for updating. I don't see anything wrong
>> in Aida side, but if someone can look with Firebug what is happening, we
>> can solve the problem faster. I'm namely not a JavaScript expert, just
>> the user.
>>
>> Janko
>>
>> --
>> Janko Mivšek
>> AIDA/Web
>> Smalltalk Web Application Server
>> http://www.aidaweb.si
>> _______________________________________________
>> Aida mailing list
>> Aida at aidaweb.si
>> http://lists.aidaweb.si/mailman/listinfo/aida
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Aida mailing list
> Aida at aidaweb.si
> http://lists.aidaweb.si/mailman/listinfo/aida
>
>


More information about the Aida mailing list