[aida] Ajax action handlers

Nicholas Moore nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com
Thu Jan 29 20:04:17 CET 2009

EG>>To be honest, I'm a little hazy on the technical and philosophical differences between a WebElement, WebComponent and WebApplication.
JM>>First, those names and concepts are evolving and we are still learning
JM>>to find the best approach. Specially concerning WebComponent. While
JM>>WebApplication, besides the funny name, seems quite a successful concept.

They seem to me to be like fractal elements of a natural system which
demonstrate self-similarity at different levels. A context is necessary
to clarify meaning for any particular instance.

My two pennyworth :-))

Nicholas

Janko Mivs(ek wrote:
> [...]
>>

> Yes, Prototype has a nice support for Ajax form posting, which is not
> much more than already supported Ajax field posting in Aida
> (#onChangePost etc)
>

>> Basically I would like the above code to work with or without javascript and I think it's an achievable goal. If you omit the onClickUpdate: parameter, it would obviously just be a form post.
>>
>> I'm sad to say that I won't be using Aida for my current project - not because I think it won't do it but because my inexperience makes me nervous about billing a client for me to learn a new framework. I'm going to stay on the list and try to play with it more because I think there's a great deal of potential here.
>>

> And we'll try to provide more examples of real apps to learn from. A
> code of new Aida website together with short description will be the first.
>

>> To be honest, I'm a little hazy on the technical and philosophical differences between a WebElement, WebComponent and WebApplication.
>>

> First, those names and concepts are evolving and we are still learning
> to find the best approach. Specially concerning WebComponent. While
> WebApplication, besides the funny name, seems quite a successful concept.
>
> You can continue with your thoughts, I'm all ears :)
>
> Janko
>

>> On Tuesday, January 27, 2009, at 04:39PM, "Janko Mivšek" <janko.mivsek at eranova.si> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eli,
>>>
>>> Your perspective is welcome and also not far away from thinking we
>>> already did so far. And form posting from standalone components is high
>>> on the list.
>>>
>>> You propose to add handling of Ajax events in a manner like the
>>> exceptions are handled in Smalltalk. And to add the handling to the
>>> WebElement. We are currently more inclined to add stronger support to
>>> WebComponent instead and (at least for now) not handling events like
>>> exceptions. Mostly because experience shows that exception handling is
>>> hard for an usual programmer and therefore rarely used.
>>>
>>> But introduction of action methods to WebComponents, that's something
>>> worth looking at. Ok, then there will be a problem of double
>>> implementation of essentially the same in apps and components, but this
>>> could be resolved later. What I'd like to add soon is form posting from
>>> standalone components, Ajax style. We can achieve a lot just with that!
>>>
>>> Your example bellow also shows the problem of parameter passing via Ajax
>>> requests. So far only strings are supported and you need to compose and
>>> decomose them manually. General object passing would be nice of course,

*Nicholas J Moore*
+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
*TSR International
*Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com