[aida] A few newbie questions regarding AidaWeb

TreyC treyc at fresnomail.com
Thu Jan 29 05:18:44 CET 2009

I just downloaded Damien Cassou's web image for Squeak 3.10.2 to try out
AidaWeb.  I followed the tutorial at:

http://www.aidaweb.si/tutorial.html

and viewed Nicolas Petton's screencast for building a blog in aidaweb.

ftp://bioskop.fr/screencast/screencast_aida_blog.avi

Both the tutorial and the screencast were very helpful in helping me
understand how to build web apps in Aida, so I want to thank Janko and
Nicolas for their efforts.  I hope they can find the time and energy to
write up even more in-depth topics on AidaWeb.

I have a couple of newbie Aida questions though:

(1) I tried out the WebGrid example (section 7 of the tutorial), and found
the resulting table a little funny looking.  I've attached a screen capture
below.

http://www.nabble.com/file/p21720660/Picture%2B4.png

I've viewed this table under both Safari and IE 6.  In each case, I found
that after the header

	Name 	Surname	Phone	Email

there is a line with 2 blank textboxes:  one under Name and one under
Surname.

Is this something that's to be expected?  The WebGrid otherwise works as it
should, providing sorting for each column.

Is there a way to make this row disappear?  It makes a nice AJAX table look
a little awkward.

(2) Similarly, in the section on Tables (section 4.3) of the tutorial, the
viewMain method:

viewMain
        | e |
        e := WebElement new.
        e addTextH1: 'Address book'.
        e table border: 1.
        self observee addresses do: [:each |
            e cell addText: each name. e newCell addText: each surname.
            e newCell addText: each phone.
            e newCell align: #right; addText: each email.
            e newRow].
        self pageFrameWith: e title: 'Address book'

constructs a table which has a single (empty) cell in the final row (see
screen capture).

http://www.nabble.com/file/p21720660/Picture%2B6.png

Is this expected behavior? Does the

		e newRow

method advance the "table cursor" so that a new cell is always present at
the end of the iteration?  is there a way to build the table without having
any dangling cells in a vacuous final row?

(3)  Are there some other demo applicaitons that I can study to learn more
about Aida? I found in the Aida package, a Category called Examples, with
classes WebDemo and WebDemoApp.  I can't seem to get these to run though.

I tried:

    (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver defaultURL:
           '/webdemo.html' forObject: WebDemo new

but it doesn't appear to show up.

(4) Finally, can someone point me to an example of Aida which uses a
different (simple) CSS stylesheet?  I am not very good with CSS to begin
with, so I would like to see how Aida can incorporate a different
stylesheet. Where on the file system would the CSS stylesheet usually be
stored?

It's been great fun playing with Aida.  I'd now like to try to build
something with it.