[aida] Ajax action handlers

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Jan 27 16:39:38 CET 2009

Hi Eli,

Your perspective is welcome and also not far away from thinking we
already did so far. And form posting from standalone components is high
on the list.

You propose to add handling of Ajax events in a manner like the
exceptions are handled in Smalltalk. And to add the handling to the
WebElement. We are currently more inclined to add stronger support to
WebComponent instead and (at least for now) not handling events like
exceptions. Mostly because experience shows that exception handling is
hard for an usual programmer and therefore rarely used.

But introduction of action methods to WebComponents, that's something
worth looking at. Ok, then there will be a problem of double
implementation of essentially the same in apps and components, but this
could be resolved later. What I'd like to add soon is form posting from
standalone components, Ajax style. We can achieve a lot just with that!

Your example bellow also shows the problem of parameter passing via Ajax
requests. So far only strings are supported and you need to compose and
decomose them manually. General object passing would be nice of course,
by value or maybe even by reference?

Eli Green pravi: