[aida] Aida hosting (was The greatest thing...)

nicolas petton petton.nicolas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 23:02:50 CET 2009

2009/1/24 Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>

> Herbert König pravi:
>
> > EG> Does anybody know of a virtual hosting service that they have
> successfully run AIDA on?
> >
> > If you find one, please tell me. When my web app is ready I'll start
> > looking for something like seaside has with seasidehosting.st. A free
> > or cheap hosting for free web services with an option to go
> > commercial if one exceeds what can be provided for free or wants a
> > commercial branch of ones web app. But I'm confident in this matter.
>
> I plan to replace my collocated server with a new one with virtual
> server support. Then one virtual server can be for free Aida hosting
> too. Other probably for commercial ones. What is then needed of course
> is to develop and admin app for such hosting ...
>
> New server will be there in a month or two. Admin app, well, that's
> harder to tell...

I started to write such application last year when we started to talk about
free aida hosting.
I don't really remember how far I was, but I can take a look.

> But you can host your Aida based image (specially Squeak one with
> in-image VNC) on any virtual server. It is even easier because you don't
> need any database. All needed is ssh

ssh? why? The app should make it easy for users to upload and start/stop
their images.

> and VNC access to your Squeak
> image. At least I think so, I never tried by myself.
>
> Well, I lately opened an account on Amazon Elastic Cloud. Maybe we can
> try hosting one Aida web app there? Anyone interested on that?

Why not :) We could host scribo website there for a while.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton