[aida] WebGrid filters (was The greatest...)

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Jan 24 22:14:30 CET 2009

Hello Janko,

JM> Better solution is to use filter fields
JM> (see http://demo.aidaweb.si/?view=grid).
is there something to learn from this example which can't be learned
from the tutorial? If so, I missed it.

JM> Having a table with lots of rows is never a good idea and calls for
JM> better solution.
Yes! Many bad examples on the net.

JM> That's why we have (besides paging) also very flexible
JM> column filters in WebGrid. Use them!

Filtering like used in the tutorial is only a good idea if you can
afford to display the whole list in case the user empties all filters.

As far as I browsed the code it's limited to String>>match:. Which is
nice now that I know it. With *m##er* I could find names containing
all variants of German "meier". Nice but the user has to know.

I think it depends on the size of the lists (in the model) if one can
rely on WebGrid's filtering capacity. For a big address book one would
start with the first say 25 entries starting with "a". Entering a "b"
into the filter would switch to the first 25 starting with "b",
entering "br" would jump to e.g. "Brandon" onward.

I think this is beyond the filter ability of WebGrid and this
behaviour belongs into AddressBookApp and not into WebGrid.

Tell me if you think I'm wrong, I'm planning for my own app.

It would display the last 10 lines in case of data entry or 5 lines
before and 4 lines behind the current entry in case of editing data.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net