[aida] The greatest thing since sliced bread

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jan 23 00:25:45 CET 2009

Hi Eli,

Eli Green pravi:

> I've been playing with AIDA/Web for a project and am so far very impressed. I really like the ease with which you can bind objects to form controls and the Ajax stuff seems much easier to work with than Seaside's. That plus the ability to make a RESTful site are what won me over.

Very nice to hear that!

> I plan on having quite a few views where there will be a list of objects that don't contain many fields. At the bottom of this list will be a small form to allow people to quickly add new objects without having to load an separate view. I plan to accomplish this by having a singleton class representing all the "real" objects in our dataset and placing instance variables in views to represent new objects that are not yet live.
>
> Is there a fundamental flaw with this plan? Does this make sense? Is there a better way to do this?

This plan perfectly correct. Making it ajaxified will make it even
better. In short:

1. put a table of object in a seperate method, say #tableElement.
2. send every input in form #onChangePost to post it after entering, let
it post it to a temporary new object.
3. add a button and send it #onClickUpdate: aTableElement. In above
#tableElement method then check at the start to see if a new element is
to be added.

This is a quick idea from my head, maybe not the most elegant, but one
of possibilities how to proceed towards the goal to have a fully
ajaxified entry to your list.