[aida] AJAX periodical updater

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 14:18:13 CET 2009


Hmm...long ago when I was asking you how to Comet (and never was successful
in Squeak!), I "noticed" the same thing but never investigated it enough.

Anyway, that was on Window XP as well...

Rob

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Janko Mivšek <janko.mivsek at eranova.si>wrote:

> Hi Facundo,
>
> Facundo Ciccioli wrote:
>
> > I'm using #updateEverySeconds: on a WebElement and I found a problem.
> > I update every 3 seconds, and noticed than, after my page being opened
> > for a while, the browser started to suffer a serious slow down
> > (Firefox in this case). If I open the task manager (I'm running
> > Windows XP), I can see that the firefox.exe process is eating up 99
> > percent of the CPU. So I close the tab with my page, and everything's
> > back to normal. Also, if I get stubborn and leave my page open even
> > after everything slows down, eventually it stops updating...
> >
> > So I said: maybe I'm doing everything wrong (which is *very* possible
> > since I'm not an AJAX nor web expert). So I went to the AIDA demo
> > site, and to the Ajax examples, where there is a clock that uses
> > #updateEverySeconds: 1. To my surprise, the same thing happened: after
> > a while everything slowed down. Baffled, the following thing I did was
> > to try the demo in Internet Explorer, to see if it was a browser
> > issue. Same thing happened.
> >
> > I tried googleing the problem and found nothing, also tried looking in
> > this mail list's archives with the same luck. Does someone knows what
> > could be happening?
>
> I also get the same slowdown on the
> http://demo.aidaweb.si/demos.html?view=ajax after few minutes in FF on
> Linux. Funny that noone noticed that before! It is also true that I
> didn't use periodic updater so far, but I rather use Comet technique
> (delayed response to Ajax update) instead.
>
> I would say that problem can be in Prototype's PeriodicUpdater, beccasue
>  we just simply use that one for updating. I don't see anything wrong
> in Aida side, but if someone can look with Firebug what is happening, we
> can solve the problem faster. I'm namely not a JavaScript expert, just
> the user.
>
> Janko
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si
> _______________________________________________
> Aida mailing list
> Aida at aidaweb.si
> http://lists.aidaweb.si/mailman/listinfo/aida
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.aidaweb.si/pipermail/aida/attachments/20090115/01c763b9/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Aida mailing list