[aida] AJAX periodical updater

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Jan 15 14:13:22 CET 2009

Hi Facundo,

Facundo Ciccioli wrote:

> I'm using #updateEverySeconds: on a WebElement and I found a problem.
> I update every 3 seconds, and noticed than, after my page being opened
> for a while, the browser started to suffer a serious slow down
> (Firefox in this case). If I open the task manager (I'm running
> Windows XP), I can see that the firefox.exe process is eating up 99
> percent of the CPU. So I close the tab with my page, and everything's
> back to normal. Also, if I get stubborn and leave my page open even
> after everything slows down, eventually it stops updating...
>
> So I said: maybe I'm doing everything wrong (which is *very* possible
> since I'm not an AJAX nor web expert). So I went to the AIDA demo
> site, and to the Ajax examples, where there is a clock that uses
> #updateEverySeconds: 1. To my surprise, the same thing happened: after
> a while everything slowed down. Baffled, the following thing I did was
> to try the demo in Internet Explorer, to see if it was a browser
> issue. Same thing happened.
>
> I tried googleing the problem and found nothing, also tried looking in
> this mail list's archives with the same luck. Does someone knows what
> could be happening?

I also get the same slowdown on the
http://demo.aidaweb.si/demos.html?view=ajax after few minutes in FF on
Linux. Funny that noone noticed that before! It is also true that I
didn't use periodic updater so far, but I rather use Comet technique
(delayed response to Ajax update) instead.

I would say that problem can be in Prototype's PeriodicUpdater, beccasue
  we just simply use that one for updating. I don't see anything wrong
in Aida side, but if someone can look with Firebug what is happening, we
can solve the problem faster. I'm namely not a JavaScript expert, just
the user.