[aida] Synchronizing AIDA ports with upstream squeak code & MC2

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Jan 9 11:09:17 CET 2009

Hi Jan,

Introducing a common SCM like MC2 is for sure the best solution and I'd
like to thank Colin to develop it with portability in mind.

I heard that VisualWorks port is also planned or even underway? And
Gemstone guys are supporting the idea as well. I don't know about
Dolphin, GST and VA guys, but they will follow the train for sure when
they will see all advantages.

Nico also plans to support MC2 on SPM (Squeak/Smalltalk Project Manager)
so, your idea to port MC2 to Smalltalk/X is for sure a right one and
destined to success.

In the meantime we don't have better way to sync versions to other
Smalltalks than making diffs and manually or semi-manually copying them
around. It is not always boring, sometimes you get some new cool idea in
the process :)

Also note that main development is doing on Squeak and VW simultaneously
  and it is synced from time to time. At least on VW all new stuff also
goes immediately to production which ensures the high quality of all
enhancements. Of course this also requires strong discipline and
thorough testing but it is worth. Hidden problems are not propagated
around to your Aidas but caught as early as possible!