[aida] Coudfork AWS: cloud computing from Smalltalk

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Jan 5 19:12:27 CET 2009

This is interesting for us too. Has anyone some time to look at it more
closely and even make some Aida demo?

	http://blog.doit.st/2009/01/04/introducing-cloudfork-aws/

"Cloudfork AWS is a new open source project that provides easy access
from Smalltalk to the Amazon Web Services that are related to cloud
computing. We started development in December on the following services:

     * SimpleDB - “a web service providing the core database functions of
       data indexing and querying”
     * Simple Queueing Service (SQS) - “offers a reliable, highly
       scalable, hosted queue for storing messages as they travel between
       computers”
     * Simple Storage Service (S3) - “provides a simple web services
       interface that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of
       data, at any time, from anywhere on the web”

The complete SimpleDB and SQS API’s are already available from
Smalltalk. We are still working on completing the S3 API.

We use Squeak as our Smalltalk development platform and host the code on
Squeaksource. The plan is to port Cloudfork AWS to other Smalltalk
dialects as soon as the code is reasonably stable. The goal of the
Cloudfork AWS project is simply to make the API’s easily usable from
Smalltalk. We plan to start a number of other projects that use these
API’s to provide even more interesting functionality. Keep watching this
blog for more information."