[aida] AIDA/Web on Wikipedia - history and philosophy

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Sep 30 22:01:39 CEST 2008

Hi Markus,

Markus Fritsche wrote:

> To my understanding, AIDA/Web has a long history, being hidden and the
> base for many successful projects.
>
> I am curious to know if you observed changes by "going public" or, so to
> say, "open source"?

Not really until I start building the Aida community. Aida was open
sourced already in 2000 but it was February 2007 when I started with a
website, mailing list and active support of growing community that Aida
actually take off.

> Did it change your every day business? Did it change your every days work?

Yes. At the start by spending quite some time supporting the community,
  "evangelizing" and promotion. But now a payback is already coming
back. Aida/Scribo for instance is now actively developing by Nico and
quite some of his work is already useful in my commercial apps too. Not
to mention that we are cleaning and improving Aida all the time because
of more and more usage.

Another big achievement is that we are already have kind of commercial
network of Aida professionals which can be hired or put together for a
"virtual" project. We are just in talk for a first such a project
actually :)

> (I just discovered AIDA reviving my Smalltalk/Web interest, so I am
> reading through the most interesting subjects on the gmane-archived lists).

Welcome then to our community and don't hesitate to ask for any help!