[aida] [Newbie] Scribo question

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sun Sep 21 19:46:14 CEST 2008

Hello Hans,

Let me first welcome you to the Aida community! Please find the answers
below.

Hans N Beck wrote:

> I am new to Aida/Web and Scribo. I have played a little bit with the
> preconfigured Beta Scribo image.
>
> Adding and removing pages is easy to do, indeed. But I have read about
> workflow management. It is not clear how to do that or how to
> manipulate the left column containing links etc. How can I change the
> tabs in the site component ?

About workflow, there is all in place but not used in  current plugins.
In Scribo core there you have Document state, persons and timestamps,
methods to jump from state to state, say from #pending to #released and
this is a basics for making your own workflow. I have it implemented in
commercial BiArt CMS for managing documentation for several standards
like ISO9000 etc. Workflow is fixed but it can be easily done more
configurable. There is also a commercial BiArt/BPM, where you have
workflow defined in terms of business processes, which are then executed
and can besides other control the flow of work on documents.

Left navigation bar is part of WebStyle/ScriboStyle methods (see
protocol frame navigation). WebStyle is otherwise where you make all
"styling" of your page (CSS, images, JS, basic page organization, etc)
and it is site specific. You usually subclass it with your own class and
set up your website to use it. That way you can achieve running many
websites with different styles on the same image.

Tabs are also too fixed right now but we will soon make more general
menu/tab component as part of SqueakSite project, stay tuned!

> I know, this is beta, so this things are part of the future ?

In near future actually. But one of the Scribo goals is to come closer
to end users and specially mso called "power users" where we can
actually compete with Smalltalk to those 1000nds CMSes out there.