[aida] Panes?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Sep 18 22:25:34 CEST 2008

Hi Rob,

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Can you create panes in Aida?

> I am trying to create a "browser" for queries against my object with a
> "Criteria" pane, a "Group" pane, a "Results" pane, and a "Detail" pane.
>  So...basically a typical Smalltalk code browser with different
> functionality for the panes.

One possibility is to use IFRAMEs (see WebIFrame), where every such
frame is like a separate window (with separate Url) inside your main
window. We use IFrames in Scribo for attachments, for instance.

Another possibility is to use usual table with ajaxified elements as
panes in each cell.

Problem in both cases is how to update other panes when something
changes. Aida Ajax so far supports updating only one element at once.
That is, you can change one pane at once. Maybe with some trick more
panes can be updated even with current Aida? Otherwise we need to extend
Ajax support to multi-element updating (inside a single Ajax call).

But, hmm, more that one ajax call can be sent even now, you just send
two onClickUpdate: ? A bit experimentation is therefore needed ...

Just few thoughts...