[aida] AIDA-Persistence...?

Masashi UMEZAWA masashi.umezawa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 15:18:28 CEST 2008

Hi Janko,

> For SIXX on Scribo we specially need to achieve a human readable XML
> serialization. That's important because Scribo needs a long-term
> archiving of content, which is also portable to other, non-smalltalk
> systems. Self described and human readable XML is therefore a paramount
> importance.
>
> To achieve that I would add a mapping instructions into a special
> methods in a class side of serialized objects like Document. This is how
> Gemstone on VW also deals with that problem, that is, how to influence
> persistence better.
>
> Masashi, can be SIXX extended that way?

SIXX is extendable in many ways. Please see the release note:
http://swikis.ddo.jp/umejava/46

However, each element in SIXX must be enclosed in <sixx.object ...>
tag. So, probably specially designed XML format would be better for
human readability. Also, SIXX relies on Smalltalk type systems, so the
format is only interoperable among Smalltalks. (We need to translate
class names in SIXX for other languages).

Apparently there are some trade-offs. SIXX is good for developing XML
storage quickly and its data is at least neutral to major Smalltalks.

Anyway, you can try Scribo-Persistence package. It broadly uses SIXX features.

Cheers,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]