[aida] AIDA-Persistence...?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Sep 5 11:48:01 CEST 2008

Hi Masashi, Nico,

Let we move that debate to main mailing list, because it is important
and we need to discuss it more broadly.

Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Actually I was also thinking about exporting/importing user/password
> info when implementing Scribo-Persistence.
> I'm not sure the data should be saved in proprietary XML (SIXX). But
> it would be very practical feature (especially when hosting multi AIDA
> images).

I agree too. We can do kind of general persistence which all Aida
sub-systems can then use. Just by declaring some object asPersistent.
And when you change this object, it goes directly to a set of so called
"dirty" objects to be stored somewhere. This can be a general pattern
then different persistence managers can deal with it differently.

But let we start with Scribo first. We will learn here how to do
persistence more generally.

For SIXX on Scribo we specially need to achieve a human readable XML
serialization. That's important because Scribo needs a long-term
archiving of content, which is also portable to other, non-smalltalk
systems. Self described and human readable XML is therefore a paramount
importance.

To achieve that I would add a mapping instructions into a special
methods in a class side of serialized objects like Document. This is how
Gemstone on VW also deals with that problem, that is, how to influence
persistence better.

Masashi, can be SIXX extended that way?

Best regards
JAnko