[aida] GUI-like web apps on Aida

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Oct 24 12:53:44 CEST 2008

Dear Aiders,

I just looked at video of Seaside BOF on OOPSLA [1], where Aida was
mentioned quite some times (thanks guys!) but what makes me thinking is
an experience Giorgio Ferraris had when trying to adapt his existing
framework for building GUI apps for the web ones. He first tried with
Aida but fails, then he managed to do that with Seaside.

This shows clearly that Aida is designed for pure web apps while for
GUI-like web apps not so much. We can say for Seaside just the opposite:
it is better for GUI-like web apps but not so for pure web ones. From
this it is not hard to deduce why Giorgio had problems with adapting his
framework to Aida.

So, question now is how to downgrade Aida to deal with such GUI like web
apps?

First subquestion obviously is if this is possible at all. Answer: yes
it is. I did such an app for a customer a year ago. Maybe it is a time
to make a "best practices" or even a tutorial for such apps as well?

[1] seaside.avi.torrent at http://goran.krampe.se/oopsla2008/,
     look at 29:30 and 30:40.