[aida] [Scribo] merging Wiki and Site

Jimmie Houchin j.squeak at cyberhaus.us
Mon Oct 20 15:26:59 CEST 2008

nico wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some days ago, Janko and I talked about merging Wiki and Site (and
> removing site). First I was against this idea, but I thought about it,
> and now I think that with a more configurable Wiki, it could be a good
> idea.
>
> What do you think? Do you want to keep both?

Hello,

I know there is somewhat a philosophical difference between the two.
But, the question to me really would be. What does Site offer that Wiki
does not or could not without the true design goals of Wiki? If nothing
or next to nothing. Then I would say do it. With good documentation of
how to create a Site or a Wiki then users and developers will be fine.

To me the biggest difference is simply end user editability. On a Site
the end user has none and on a Wiki they may or may not depending on
user permissions. To the developer or creator of the site, the usability
of Wiki style Site creation is a win. IMO.

In fact that may be one way to document the Site creation is addressing
it as using Wiki Style site creation and editing tools. The main
difference could simply be a preference on any given page as to whether
or not the page is end user editable and whether or not we maintain a
history of those edits.

Thats my thoughts without any significant investigation as of yet. :)

Jimmie