[aida] ODBC incompatibility?

Bèrto ëd Sèra berto.d.sera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:18:57 CEST 2008

Hi!

I observed something funny. To use ODBC for squeak I first need to file in
the FFI package (otherwise I miss the ExternalEntity class). But this seems
to break swazoo, which becomes irresponsive. On restarting the image it says
that Timestamp does not understand a number of methods. I can't seem to find
the point in FFI and/or ODBC that redefine anything in Timestamp, though. I
surely find a new:

Magnitude subclass: #TimeStamp
    instanceVariableNames: 'date time'
    classVariableNames: ''
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'Kernel-Magnitudes'

The broken method on SPTimestamp is
===================================
asRFC1123StringOn: targetStream
    "^self
    Code taken from Swazoo Timestamp extenton with the following comment:
FIXME: Assumes
    server's clock is GMT. Should convert server's clock to GMT if it is
not. Besides that,
    this whole method is really ugly."
    targetStream nextPutAll: (self underlyingTimestamp asDate weekday
copyFrom: 1 to: 3);
        nextPutAll: ', '.
    self underlyingTimestamp *day* < 10 ifTrue: [targetStream nextPut: $0].
    self underlyingTimestamp asDate printOn: targetStream format: #(1 2 3 $
2 1).
    targetStream space.
    self underlyingTimestamp *printHMSOn:* targetStream.
    targetStream nextPutAll: ' GMT'

Now, how can this happen? The two classes have different names, don't they?
In my visualworks days I cannot remember any such incident. Can anyone give
me a hint?

To repeat the bug:
1) Get a fresh once-click image
2) install FFI