[aida] Scaling an Aida/Web site?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Oct 15 22:54:32 CEST 2008

Salut Sebastien, welcome to the list!

sop soptwo wrote:

> I would like to know if it is possible to scale an application written with Aida/Web.
> With Ruby On Rails, several Mongrel server are load balanced with Apache.

Yes, you can scale similary, with many images running behind a load
balancer like Apache. Proven in practice!

Mogrel is in our case called Swazoo web server and is part of Aida by
default. What you need is to configure load balancer for session
affinity, so that each session will always run on the same image. Also,
Aida is capable to run thousands of sessions, at a rate up to 35
requests/s, per one image! See
http://www.aidaweb.si/aidaweb-benchmarks.html, also
http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html

> I would like to know if it is possible to do something siimilar, but it doesn't seem to be possible
> because a lot of objects are stored into the image (urls, users and groups, etc)...

All this can be put in some database. Contrary to RoR Aida doesn't
handle RDB persistence by default and it leaves this duty to the domain
model. Also you'll extend URLResolver (for urls) and WebSecurityManager
(for users/groups) for such purpose.

> Is there a solution to this problem (without using Gemstone of course)?

Solution is somewhere in direction as stated above, but I agree, we
should try to extend Aida with some ActiveRecord like framework so that
handling relational databases in a scalable way would be there out of
the box.

Problem is that currently we lack expertise on the RDB field and I'd
really hope we will find someone soon.

> I ask this because I don't want to use a framework that doesn't scale...

Don't worry, with appropriate design of domain model and it's
persistence you can scale as much as you want!