[aida] How to setup and run Aida on Gemstone GLASS

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Fri Nov 21 14:38:47 CET 2008

Dear all,

This is a guide to install GLASS from scratch, not as VMware GLASS
appliance. For Gemstone 2.3 Web Edition, which has latest Aida 5.6
already installed.

This guide is also among Documentation on our website:
	http://www.aidaweb.si/gemstone-glass.html

Here are the steps:

   1. download and run shell script:
      http://seaside.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
	chmod 755 installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
	./installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
	if you run as user, it will ask for root password!
	it will be installed in /opt/gemstone/product

   2. set an environment by running:
      source /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/defSeaside

   3. start Gemstone:
	startnet
	startGemstone

   4. Check if everything is running well:
	startSeaside_Hyper 50081
	in web broswer: http://<hostname>:50081/seaside/examples/counter
		(carefully, <hostname> is name of your machine!)
	ctrl/c startSeaside

Ok, first part done, now let we prepare and start Aida:

   1. run GemTools "one-click" Squeak image:
	cd /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/GemTools.app
	./GemTools.sh

   2. Login into Gemstone
	click big button Login
	after successful login the Gemstone/S Transcript should open

   3. Load Aida packages into Gemstone (if not already)
	open Monticello (button in GS/S Transcript!)
	see if latest Swazoo and Aida packages are loaded yet

   4. Run Aida
	open Workspace (button in GS/S Transcript!)
	do it SwazooAida stop; demoStart.
	GemTools should block now, with GS cursor is shown!
	from web browser: http://localhost:8888
	unblock image with Alt . (Alt and point)
	restart again with SwazooAida stop; demoStart