[aida] Aida on Gemstone

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:53:19 CET 2008

Hi Dale (again):

2008/11/20 Dale Henrichs <dale.henrichs en gemstone.com>

> It is a little bit confusing. If you are doing development in both Squeak
> and GemStone, I would completely separate the two Squeak images. Use one for
> doing GemStone developement and only use the GemStone browsers. Use the
> other image for doing only Squeak-based work.

Do you means that independently of the machine on were I'm working I should
use the Gemstone/S from the server and its tools to develop Gemstone
applications? Sorry if the question look very basic, but....I'm newbie yet
with Gemstone. But I've plans to invest time on Gemstone.

> You should be able to use your GLASS appliance and load AIDA into the
> appliance using the GemStone/S Monticello browser. I would suggest that you
> use the version of Aida that's on GemSource (
> http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html), since Janko was successful in
> getting it running on GLASS.

Ok, I tried and I've an error when I try to open the repository from the
GemStone/S Monticello browser, but don't worry, I've a bit older version of
the appliance. Need to download the newest, will try the weekend, being that
is near 1GB.

> Once you have things loaded into GemStone, you will want to modify the
> startSeaside_Hyper scrip (in /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin) to launch
> Aida instead of Seaside. Then manually launch the script on the appliance
> using a port (say 9001). You should be able to aim a browser at port 9001
> and see Aida served up.

Ahh, ok. I was checking the script and saw that Swazoo is used to start
Seaside (I don't were aware of so). That means that you aren't using
Comanche and instead Swazoo on GLASS ?

> If you hit problems send mail to this list and I'll help you work through
> the issues. When we've got it working, I'll include a startAida_Swazoo
> script in future releases of GLASS.

Thanks Dale! I will be asking surely!

Being that I'm newbie also with Gesmtone I've other doubts I will be asking
on GLASS list.

Cheers.
Germán.