[aida] Aida on Gemstone

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Thu Nov 20 23:40:56 CET 2008

----- "Germán Arduino" <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:

| I'm not clear (yet) were/how fit Aida on GLASS image.
|
| AFAIK Gemstone/S run as usual (as a server service) and Gemstone guys
| developed Squeak tools to access/work with to such server.
|
| Then, if I have the Squeak image (GemTools) and if I load on such
| image a normal Aida, I will not have nothing related with Gemstone.

This is correct.

| The same if I connect from GemTools to Gemstone/S, open the Monticello
| of Gemstone/S and load Aida, except that exist an Aida version with
| some features to work with Gemstone.

This is correct.

| I'm wrong?

It is a little bit confusing. If you are doing development in both Squeak and GemStone, I would completely separate the two Squeak images. Use one for doing GemStone developement and only use the GemStone browsers. Use the other image for doing only Squeak-based work.

| Any clarification will be useful to me. (I've all these tools
| installed and working, I meant: The GLASS appliance on a VMWare
| running on an Ubuntu 64 bits, and also the Squeak tools and Squeak
| image with such Gemstone tools).

You should be able to use your GLASS appliance and load AIDA into the appliance using the GemStone/S Monticello browser. I would suggest that you use the version of Aida that's on GemSource (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html), since Janko was successful in getting it running on GLASS.

Once you have things loaded into GemStone, you will want to modify the startSeaside_Hyper scrip (in /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin) to launch Aida instead of Seaside. Then manually launch the script on the appliance using a port (say 9001). You should be able to aim a browser at port 9001 and see Aida served up.

If you hit problems send mail to this list and I'll help you work through the issues. When we've got it working, I'll include a startAida_Swazoo script in future releases of GLASS.

Dale