[aida] Aida Wish List

Stefan Schmiedl s at xss.de
Wed Nov 19 19:42:08 CET 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:30:37 -0200
"Germán Arduino" <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trivial things as change attributes, align, etc need lot of time and
> really I would prefer to use such time on things more specfic of the
> domain and not with these things. And add the fact that the UI isn't
> that the most of users want to see on final users applications.

What exactly is it that you want to achieve with the GUI?
I remember folks asking for an easy way to start and stop
their AIDA server.

I vote for *no* GUI.

If you're working within your Smalltalk GUI already, you
might already have a workspace with some useful one-liners
in it. Click and do-it.

If the server is deployed, you *should not* be required to use
high-bandwidth and complex setup software like VNC or remote
X or desktop. I have putty.exe on the USB in my pocket for the
occasional Windows PCs I'm meeting, ssh is on every unix based
platform out there.

Some simple command line based ways to start/stop/reset
a site would be the most convenient. Something like

$ aida 'site' start|stop|restart|clear-cache|...

What more do you need?

Just making Smalltalk,
s.