[aida] Charting project started

nico petton.nicolas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 22:28:31 CET 2008

Le mardi 11 novembre 2008 à 22:15 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> nico wrote:
> >> Let we ask Nico for more details of the project and activities so far...
>
> > For this project I did some research about opensource chart JS
> > libraries. I finally choose ProtoChart.
> >
> > I'm just starting to integrate it into Aida. My first goal is to be able
> > to use the entire API in Smalltalk, after that I'll see how I can
> > improve it, or even extend the library if it's needed.
>
> It would be desirable to try to make that API as general as possible,
> with future changing of chart JS library in mind. Now you investigated
> other libraries, therefore you know similarities. Name methods so that
> they will be more or less the same if you change the library behind. Or
> at least try to name them that way.

It's not really possible, those libraries are very different from each
other, and even if I try to name smalltalk methods as general as
possible, the underlying JS code won't work if we change the JS library.

What I meant when I told you that I wanted to make those smalltalk
classes as general as possible is that for example I have a Smalltalk
class name WebJsFunction which will be printed as...a Javascript
function. It's not a Smalltalk to Js converter, just an easy way to
write JS functions from Aida.

Those utility classes should be as general as possible, so we can reuse
them later, for other JS integration.

> > As soon as I will have something working, I will open a SqueasSource (or
> > SPM?) project to share the code.
>
> I see SPM (Squeak Project Manager) to be meant for a bit larger projects
> like Aida or Scribo, or more standalone ones like Swazoo.

Yes, you are right.

> For smaller
> projects like this one I would therefore rather use Aida SPM. Which
> doesn't exist yet, maybe a time to create it on http://aida.aidaweb.si?

If you can point this subdomain to my server, sure, I'll do it.

> Should we also think about extending SPM to better support such subprojects?

Hehe, unfotunately I didn't have time to improve SPM lately. First I
would like to make it work with recent versions of Scribo, and with
MC2 :)

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton